You have to give it to the Americans. They sure know how to make a dog park!
Don’t get me wrong – Australia has some nice dog parks, great green grass, safe enclosures and plenty of good coffee nearby. But things are on a whole different scale over there.
In many of the 50 state’s you’ll find a park with no expense spared. We’re talking seperate enclosures for smaller and larger breeds, ponds, dog shows, shaded areas, agility courses and now, even movie screens!
Here are our five favourite dog parks in the US.
BarkPark – Nashville
US doggy giant Bark (known best for the Barkbox) have poured some money into opening the magnificent BarkPark earlier this year.
The membership-based club is designed as much for humans as their dogs.
What we love most about BarkPark:
- Great ammenities for all creatures
- Movie, music & comedy nights
- They’ve brought in a specialist coffee roaster
- Lighting until 9pm
Washington Dog Park – Ohio
This feels like something from a movie. It’s just too perfect! What we love most about the Washington Dog Park:
- Pee-friendly gravel so it can look the part, without the lingering smell!
- Dog-friendly synthetic turf that won’t burn their feet in high temperatures
- Little features & tunnels throughout, like the stream that runs through the middle
Congressman Bill Archer Bark Park – Texas
Known for it’s two bone-shaped ponds, the Congressman Bill Archer Bark Park is one serious dog park. You’ll love it for:
- The ponds of course!
- 17 acres of land to run around
- An agility course
- Plenty of muddy good times
- Dog showers to get rid of the mud before the trip home
Newtown Dream Dog Park – Georgia
Another one supported by corporate dollars, but who are we to complain when it ends up this good? Purina’s Beneful brand has been running competitions to design a dog park for a number of years now, funding it through GoFundMe campaigns.
The latest recipient was the Newtown Dream Dog Park in Georgia, thanks to the winning design by a teenage boy. Not huge by any means, but pretty damn amazing.
Johnny Steele Dog Park – Houston
The Johnny Steele Dog Park was re-designed after copping plenty of damage in Hurricane Harvey. Part of a larger community parklands, the amazing new dog park is known for:
- Fenced small and large breed dog areas
- Ponds and sprinklers to splash around
- Lots of benches and shady areas
- Beautiful nearby scenery