This is the week that it is hard for me to write the “stereotypical” profile of Beagles as Snoop is a Beagle. So with all of these breed profiles, it is important to remember that individual dogs have individual personalities that may be different to the “standard” of that breed.
Beagles are scenthounds so are bred to follow their noses. Originally this was small game like rabbits & hare in England. Although Beagle-like dogs have a long history, the dog we recognise today dates from the 1860s.
They are often used in airports to detect illegal materials. This is both due to their great noses, as well as small size, being less confronting and easier to handle. They have been called “noses with feet attached”. Beagles are sadly the standard breed for pharmaceutical or food testing as they are considered a robust and consistent breed.
Beagles are a staple in the 20 most popular breeds in Australia.
Colour: Generally tri-colour (black/tan/white) with some being just tan/white. All have a white tip at the end of their tail so hunters could easily follow them through long grass.
Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
Positive Points about the Beagle
- Considered great with other dogs, cats and children once they are accepted into the pack. Rabbits or chooks probably generate too much prey drive.
- Big on personality. Happy, friendly, social, mischievous, caring, gentle, affectionate, stubborn.
- Easy to groom, just require a brush, a good vacuum cleaner and the very occasional bath.
- Love exercise, but also being a couch potato!
Drawbacks of Beagles
- Beagles are one of the most vocal breeds. They can bark, bay and howl. Although they are small, the volume they make is impressive.
- Once they are part of the pack, they don’t want to be alone. A bored and lonely Beagle can be loud, destructive, a digger and an escape artist.
- Once the nose finds an interesting smell, it is said that the ears turn off. And every scent is interesting to a Beagle!
- Continually shedding – heaviest with the change of seasons.
- Love food and are experts at using their big eyes to beg, so can easily get overweight.
- Though smart, they are also stubborn and considered very hard to train.
Common health issues
- Hip Dysplasia
- Patella Luxation
- Ear infections
Instafamous Aussies Beagles
View this post on Instagram
It’s very rare that I ever capture a playful side of Billie, it’s usually all serious business with her or a simple smile 💙 She a very happy pup but it’s always RBF- Resting Billie Face 💙 . . . . . . . . #beagle #beagles #beaglesofinstagram #beaglegram #beaglelove #beagleworld #beaglemania #dogsofinstagram #dogsofinsta #dogsofinstaworld #dogsofperth #perth #beach #sundayfunday #sunday
View this post on Instagram
Poser in the perfect light 🐶😎 #puppylife #beaglelife #dog #mansbestfriend #hounddog #instadog #beaglelover #mybeagle #instabeagles #k9crew #followmyjourney #beaglegram #ilovemydog #instapets #puppy #beaglesdaily #beagle #beaglepuppy #beaglesofinstagram #beagleworld #justbeagles #poser #canine #puppylove #toocute #instagrambeagles #floppyears #goodboy #puppypic
Check out if you are ready to get a dog